Why Use Honey For Dry Skin: What Are The Benefits?
There are several reasons your skin would absolutely love honey:
1. Honey Is An Excellent Humectant
Humectants are substances that help in preserving the natural moisture levels of your skin. Dry skin lacks moisture, and honey is an excellent humectant that seals in the moisture in your skin and makes it soft and supple (1).
2. Honey Prevents Many Skin Conditions
Some conditions like eczema and psoriasis cause your skin to become dry. Honey is widely used in Ayurvedic medicine for treating these skin issues, along with other issues like burns, cuts and wounds, and inflammation (2).
3. Honey Has Antibacterial Properties
Natural untreated honey has antibacterial properties and shows an inhibitory effect on about 60 species of bacteria. Honey has a high viscosity, which helps it form a protective layer on the wounds, preventing further infection (3).
4. Honey Helps In Preventing Wrinkles
When it comes to wrinkles, honey can deliver noticeable results. It has age-fighting properties. It slows down wrinkle formation and keeps your skin youthful. It also helps in maintaining the pH balance of your skin (4).
With so many benefits, honey is, undoubtedly, a luxurious treat for your skin. Here are a few ways you can use honey for taking care of your dry skin.
How To Use Honey For Dry Skin
As Your Daily Face Moisturizer
Manuka Honey Face Cream
You Will Need
- ½ cup shea butter
- 3 tablespoons aloe vera gel
- 5 drops tea tree essential oil
- 3 tablespoons rose water
- 1 teaspoon Manuka honey (or raw organic honey)
- Use a double boiler to melt the shea butter.
- Mix it with rose water, aloe vera gel, and honey.
- Transfer the mixture to a glass bowl and let it cool (or refrigerate).
- Whip it well for 5 minutes to get a fluffy, creamy white texture.
- Scoop it and store in a jar.
- Use it as your daily moisturizer or night cream.
As Body Butter
Honey And Essential Oil Body Butter
You Will Need
- 1 ½ cups coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons raw honey
- 2 tablespoons citrus essential oil (you can use orange, lime, lemon, or bergamot oils)
- Melt the coconut oil in a double boiler and let it cool down a bit.
- Add the honey and essential oil to this and whip well until the mixture has a creamy texture.
- Transfer it to a glass jar.
- Use the mixture as a body butter after showers.