Nutrition is important for health. An unhealthy diet can damage your metabolism, cause weight gain and even hurt organs, such as your heart and liver. But what you eat also impacts another organ — your skin.
Look at these 5 foods to keep your skin healthy and glowing.
1. Fatty Fish
- Fatty fish, such as salmon, mackerel and herring, are excellent foods for healthy skin. They are rich sources of omega-3 fatty acids, which are important for maintaining skin health.
- Omega-3 fatty acids are necessary to keep skin thick, supple and moisturized. In fact, a deficiency in omega-3 fats can cause dry skin
- Avocados are high in healthy fats. These fats benefit many functions in your body, including the health of your skin.
- Getting enough of these fats is essential to keep skin flexible and moisturized.
- One study in over 700 women found that a high intake of total fat — specifically the types of healthy fats found in avocados — was associated with more supple, springy skin.
- Walnuts have many characteristics that make them an excellent food for healthy skin.
- They are a good source of essential fatty acids, which are fats that your body cannot make itself.
- In fact, they’re richer than most other nuts in both omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids.
4. Sunflower Seeds
- In general, nuts and seeds are good sources of skin-boosting nutrients.
- Sunflower seeds are an excellent example.
5. Sweet Potatoes
- Beta-carotene is a nutrient found in plants.
- It functions as provitamin A, which means it can be converted into vitamin A in your body.
- Beta-carotene is found in oranges and vegetables such as carrots, spinach and sweet potatoes. Carotenoids like beta-carotene keep your skin healthy by acting as a natural sunblock.